Summer time is coming and it will be here before you know it. And as a heating and cooling company serving New Brighton and the surrounding areas, we can think of several ways you can beat the heat besides cranking up your air conditioner and possibly facing a higher electric bill. Here are a few tips on how to stay nice and cool this summer besides relying on your air conditioner.
- During the day, especially when the sun is shining, close all of the curtains and drapes. There are even special thermal curtains you can buy and hang up that will help block out some of the sun’s heat.
- Also during the day, wear lightweight clothing. Try to wear cotton, and try to wear short sleeved shirts or sleeveless shirts.
- Do not assume that turning the air conditioner to a lower setting will make it cool your home faster. No matter what temperature you set your thermostat to, your air conditioner will still take the same amount of time to cool your home.
- When you cook food, try to use your microwave instead of your oven. Better yet, go outside and have a barbecue!
- Make sure you change your air conditioner’s filter on a regular basis: at least once a month. If you are unsure of how to do this or what type of filter to buy, contact a heating and cooling company like ours.
- Drink plenty of water and stay well hydrated. Make sure your furry friends get plenty of water too, especially any pets that are outdoors most of the time.
- Make sure you keep all of your supply registers open on main and upper floors and close off registers in lower levels or basements to help cool only the areas that have the highest heat load during the day.
- Also make sure that you keep all windows closed and do not open doors that lead outside unless it is absolutely necessary.
- When you leave a room, make sure you turn off the lights. This is a small step you can take to make sure your electric bill stays reasonable.
We hope you find these suggestions helpful!
Do you need a professional and reliable heating and cooling company in New Brighton or the surrounding areas? Call Prescription Heating & Cooling at 651-767-2737 or you can contact us for a Free Estimate on New Installations.